We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
If you've been following me for a while, you probably know that I'll take creepy psychological stories over horror any day, which is why stories like Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle is the perfect re-read for me during spooky season. I listened to the audio as I knocked out various tasks this week and it was somehow even creepier than I remembered?! Below is a snippet of my original review:
.
In the end, I found myself describing it to friends the way that people describe The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - it sucks you in. It paints a portrait of deeply disturbed characters and while there's a part of your brain that recognizes this, you cannot help but be drawn in by them, until you find yourself feeling as though their particular kind of madness isn't as strange as you once might have believed. I always find these kinds of stories to be the spookiest - the ones with characters that crawl inside your head and stay there. This was definitely one of those kinds of books for me.

Comments
Post a Comment