I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Daylight Savings is in full swing, so please accept this poorly lit photo. I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley is a series of essays by a young, affluent New Yorker about young, affluent New Yorker problems. It is, like most essay collections in my experience, inconsistent. Some essays (about Crosley's plastic pony collection, her Worst Job, or that time she accidentally went to Christian summer camp) are funny, while others (locking herself out of her apartment, a dinner party gone awry) fall flat by comparison. Themes of finding your stride, navigating female friendships, and trying (and often failing) to be a good person are relatable, but not fully fleshed out. While I won't be raving about this collection anytime soon, I would reach for her writing again, if only so I can finally decide how I feel about it!

Comments
Post a Comment