Radio Silence by Alice Oseman


My new bookstafriend @cleverlybookish told me to read Radio Silence by Alice Oseman, so I read it. In 24 hours. And now I will squee ineloquently about it for far longer because THIS BOOK. DOES SO MANY THINGS. SO WELL:⠀

This book grapples with many kinds of identity, and the ways we struggle against the identities placed on us in order to embrace who we are. Also the struggle to form meaningful relationships with others.⠀

It recognizes the extraordinary societal pressure of the notion that you have to be academically excellent and go to college in order to be successful.⠀

It perfectly captures the excitement of finding a kindred spirit. Also the excitement of finding a Thing You Are Obsessed With and the anxiety and thrill of sharing it with others. ⠀

It reveals the ways in which social media can be a gift but also deeply troubling. Ditto fandoms.⠀

It reflects the fear and joy and confusion and freedom of adolescence in a way that feels deeply authentic and *almost* makes you think you'd revisit that time. You wouldn't. But still.⠀

And finally, it reminds us that a YA story can have a plot that doesn't revolve around a romantic relationship!⠀

Its got friendship. Its got podcasts. Its got green shoes with purple shoelaces. What's not to love?!⠀

That being said, I do think that in trying to do so many things, there are things that probably weren't done as well as they could have been. The transcripts of the podcast didn't add anything to the story for me. I loved the representation (bi, asexual, biracial, immigrant, woc, mental illness) but never felt like any of that was fully explored.⠀

Keeping in mind that Alice Oseman was TWENTY THREE (I think? I don't do math) when this book was published, this is a damn impressive piece of fiction and you should definitely check it out.⠀

TW: domestic abuse⠀

Comments

Popular Posts