Know My Name by Chanel Miller


As soon as I heard that Chanel Miller had written a memoir, I knew I wanted to get my hands on it. I first heard her words anonymously, in the form of the statement she had written. It made headlines. You may not have heard of Miller, but you've almost certainly heard of her rapist: Brock Turner. Know My Name is a chilling condemnation of the flaws of our system and an eloquently written story about healing (and the journey through hell to get there), but most of all, it is a reclamation - of Chanel's life, of her voice, and of her identity. It's a reminder that more often than not, we know a criminal's name, but not their victim's. It's a tribute to advocates. It's a testament to the fact that there is so much work still to be done. Every part of this book is thoughtful, down to the cover art, which is based on the Japanese art of Kintsugi, where broken items are repaired with gold - highlighting the broken places rather than disguising them. I want to push this book into the hands of every woman and man that I know (and continue to recommend it whenever anyone asks what they need to be reading next).
.
TW: sexual assault

Comments

Popular Posts