Swallowtail by Brenna Twohy


I first came across Brenna Twohy's poetry a ⁣few months ago on the @buttonpoetry Facebook page. I was impressed and did a quick search for her book at my library, but couldn't find anything. Fast forward a few weeks and I stumbled on Swallowtail while browsing NetGalley! Released in October, this poetry collection hit home for me from the very first words:⁣
⁣
WHEN I SAY I FORGIVE YOU, KNOW THIS:⁣
I did not bury the hatchet.⁣
I have the hatchet in my hand.⁣
I am building myself a new house.⁣
⁣
Twohy lays herself bare in her poems with skin prickling vulnerability, her writing style a testament to the idea that sadness and love and fear and grief and healing and mental illness and strength and humor and pop culture can (and do) co-exist. I was reminded of @fransbookshops's interview with Max Porter where he said, "Life is very funny and life is very sad, and those two things aren't separate."⁣
⁣
Basically, I loved this book and can't wait to get my hands on whatever Twohy writes next.⁣
⁣
TW: sexual assault, abuse, suicide⁣

Comments

Popular Posts