Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson


Don't sleep on this book! Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Wilson is BEAUTIFULLY written. I don't often love stories told from multiple viewpoints, but this one is the exception (perhaps because I listened to the audiobook, which is narrated by an incredible group of voice actors and the author). The beginning gave me Gilmore Girls vibes: the story opens with the illegitimate daughter of a wealthy family who is making her debut. Except, Iris and Melody aren't like Lorelai and Rory - their lives chart a decidedly different path. And that, ultimately, is the heart of the novel - the way that our decisions make us who we are. The book moves forward and backward in time from this moment, exploring the ties that bind us to our parents and our parents' parents in a way that is beautiful and heartbreaking and had me thinking about my own family. This is a quick read (or listen), but don't discount it - it's as short as it is powerful, and I'll be thinking about it for a long time to come.

Comments

Popular Posts