Poldark by Winston Graham



WE NEED TO TALK. I'm a huge TV fan, love historical fiction, and will watch anything made by the BBC, so naturally I love Poldark. I knew it was based on a series I hadn't read, and that the show had made some major changes (like omitting a rape scene from the books), but nobody told me how awful and cringey and problematic these books were? I thought you guys were my friends. I picked these up on my latest McKay's run, and I DNF'd them the next day. They will be going to a new home where they will hopefully be appreciated by someone who hasn't seen the show, doesn't mind the writing style, and isn't bothered by the inappropriate and exploitative relationship between the main couple of what is supposed to be a romance. I'm open to conversation about this: am I missing something? Am I supposed to overlook these flaws in the name of historical "accuracy?" Have I broken your heart because this is your favorite series? Or should we make t-shirts for our hater's club? Let me know in the comments below.

Comments

Popular Posts