The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows


⁠While I have loved and recommended the Netflix movie for a while, it was only recently that I discovered that The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was based on a book! Told entirely in letters, I adored the experience of getting to know each of the characters better (a movie adaptation can only do so much). Its 1946, and Europe is still reeling from WWII when Londoner Juliet receives a letter from a stranger on the island of Guernsey - a stranger who found her address inside a book. This letter sets in motion a series of events that neither Juliet nor the stranger could have expected. I think the reason I adore this novel so much -- in addition to its endearing cast of characters, interesting setting, and complex conversations about the way our choices change us (and those around us) -- is because this book is a love letter to books, and the power that books have to bring us together.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Comments

Popular Posts